MotoCrane LLC announced their universal automotive camera crane and it is a first ever in the industry. It allows you to mount a crane to any vehicle (use your head, it can’t be a convertible or glass roof) for which used to be in the realm of custom setups like the Russian Arm.
The base is a ‘universal mount’ consisting of four suction cups that fit to the roof, a jib arm, and gimbal head. The head comes equipped with 110mm brushless motors and two lens control motors. The whole show is controlled through an iOS app with Nintendo Switch looking controllers to the left and right of the ipad. The payload is a little light at 25lbs, but there are enough camera options out there that you will be able to kit out a digital cinema camera and fall under the weight limit.
This could be a great investment for mid-size production houses that want to offer their clients a higher end option with the potential to rent out the setup to other productions to increase revenue on the investment.Pricing hasn’t been announced yet, but the idea seems quite attractive, if it works as well as they advertise and has the durability to be a rental item. No mention of service contracts or anything that I could find.
Here are the specs:
- Included Accessories | iPad, Gamevice, HD Monitor, 1x Lens Control
- iOS App | Free; coming soon.
- Max Payload | 25 lbs
- ARMA motion | Unlimited Rotation, 30 deg up, 45 down
- ACRO motion | Unlimited Rotation, Tilt & Roll: 180 deg
- Max Speed | 80 MPH
- Lens Height from Roof | 3′ above, 3′ below
- Boom Length | 6′ from center, 9′ total
- Max Controlled Speed ARMA: 4 sec 360º Swing
- Max Controlled Speed ACRO: 1 sec 360º Pan
- Weather | Water resistant
- Power Input | Cigarette Lighter; 12V/10amp (fused in cable)
- Roof | Flat, glossy mounting points (non-fabric, non-glass)
- ATLIS Area | 2.5’x2.5′ MIN, 4’x4′ MAX
- Suction Cups | 6 inch diameter, 70 lb load rating each (x4)
- Security Harness | Straps to wheel fenders rated to 300 lbs each (x4)
- SYSTEM | 95 lbs unloaded, 170 lbs fully loaded (including max payload),
- ATLIS Base | 35 lb unloaded weight
- ARMA Boom | 50 lbs unloaded weight
- ACRO Head | 10 lbs unloaded weight