Chaos Group’s Fluid Sim Plugin Phoenix FD 3 Released for Maya + Tutorials
Phoenix FD 3.0 just made it to Maya. It’s available for $830 which is pretty good pricing for what you get and the quality of the simulations. Free upgrades for 2.x users as well. Here is a tutorials to get started and it’s a good way to see what the plugin is all about.
Phoenix FD 3 for Maya feautres:
- FLIP solver – Fast, realistic liquid solver.
- New fire & smoke solver – Create realistic smoke and fire with super-fine details.
- Quick presets – New toolbar with presets for fire, smoke and liquid simulations.
- Ocean simulations – Create ocean surfaces that never repeat using procedural ocean displacement. Preview and render the ocean surface without simulating cache files.
- Wave force – Transition from a procedural ocean surface to detailed wave simulations.
- Force controls – Art direct and control simulations with forces like wind, mesh attraction and more.
- Path follow – Create simulations that follow a path along a spline.
- Interactive simulations – Fine-tune simulations interactively in the viewport with Phoenix FD’s GPU-accelerated preview.
- Refine simulations – Increase simulation resolution and add detail without changing overall shape or behavior.
- Simulation retiming – Speed up or slow down simulation playback. Perfect for slow motion effects.
- Cascade simulations – Create a series of simulations that trigger and interact with each other.
- Emission sources – Use a wide range of customizable emission sources, including animated meshes, texture maps and particles, to drive complex simulations.
- Fast volume rendering – Optimized volume rendering with accurate lighting and global illumination.
- Compatibility – Supports industry-standard tools and formats like Alembic and OpenVDB. Simulation licenses – Use Phoenix FD simulation licenses to submit jobs over the network to Deadline and Backburner.