Autodesk Deploys 3ds Max 2018 with Arnold 5
Autodesk has released 3ds Max 2018 to it’s subscribers, with it’s most publicized and discussed change being the replacement of Mental Ray with Arnold 5. Learn more details about that and what happened to Mental Ray in this article.
Overall the update is supposed to continue to improve stability and have an overhauled UI that is designed to be more responsive. And something that is extremely welcome, the ability to tear off panels and dock them in different places to create a completely custom UI.
User interface improvements:
- QT5 framework with enhanced docking
- Timeline tear-off
- Ongoing Hi-DPI icon conversion (370 icons converted)
- Tear-off menus
- Faster switching between workspaces
- Modular main toolbar.
• Previews the path of animated objects directly in the viewport. You can adjust motion paths using transforms, and convert them to and from splines
MCG (Max Creation Graph):
- Easy Map adds the ability to map over an operator by connecting an array of values for graph simplicity
- Live Type displays computes types in the editor as you work
- MCG type resolver improved so you no longer need to add extra nodes to provide hints about the type system in MCG
- Compiler significantly improved to better optimize graph expressions, particularly with functions
- No longer need to unpack MCG graph and MCG now uses compounds from the package
- Consumes graphs in package form (.mcg) by simply dragging in the viewport
- Automatic tool input generation
- More artist friendly operator/compound naming and categorization
- New Node Properties window with better operator/compound descriptions
- 78 new operators
Head to the 3ds Max site to learn more.