Ouroboros 2 is an updated free* plugin for after effects. The word Ouroboros refers to a Greek symbol that shows a dragon eating it’s own tail. Fun fact.
*Free, as in name your own price. If you have the generosity inside of you to support the creators you can toss in whatever you want as a thank you.
The new version is faster via the script employing better using less expressions to drive the effect.
This interface controls the creation of all effects and controls. The menu at the top has quick-create buttons to draw simple shape layers line, square, circle, and triangle.
After either creating a shape layer or drawing your own, you then initialize it as a Ouroboros layer by clicking the top button, which adds the necessary expressions to drive the effect. From there you build your own stack of controllers from the menu which are then populated in the effects controls panel.
Stacking these and using the random modules from the menu allows you to create a ton of variations to your path animations. I made this in about 20mins and the workflow was very quick and easy:
A nice feature is that you can duplicate the Ouroboros 2 layers and all expressions remain active so it’s easy to create one element and populate the composition with as many variations as you like.
If you don’t have it already, go grab it, if you work with paths it’s a quick and easy way to animate all easily accessible through the effects controls panel and will save you time allowing you to have more fun instead of clicking through menus and writing custom expressions. I didn’t notice any slowdowns of note except when applying certain expressions initially but animation and render are just as fast as animating normally. For a name your own price script, it is a standout.
Check it out, give it a go. Download at aescripts.com
- Create centered Line, Square, Circle and Triangle.
- Create multiple strokes on one single path.
- Color multiple strokes with one color control.
- Set random Stroke Width for each stroke.
- Maintain Stoke Width when original path scales.
- Set random Opacity for each stroke.
- Trim each stroke individually.
- Set a random length and offset on the path.
- Trim all the strokes using the original stroke.
- Link the Start and End to the original stroke.
- Delay the animation of each stroke over time.
- Randomize the time of delayed animations.
- Add a continues speed to the strokes.
- Add random speed to each stroke.
- Keyframe the speed of all the strokes.
- Add Dots on the start and end of each line.
- Change the stroke direction.
- Change cap and join of all strokes.
- Change the random seed.