Friday Tut Time – Houdini Circle Packing Tutorial from Entagma
Ever since I started in Houdini I wanted to learn how to do circle packing, the results are always visually captivating, and with shallow DOF it looks like an organism under a microscope.
This Entagma tutorial will demonstrate and walk through how to densely pack a Torus with objects. With Houdini a simulation based approach is used to achieve a dense packing of particles with varying radius. As with all of Entagma’s tutorials, it is very in depth but easy to follow.
- Preparing the emitter geo
- Dive into the POP network
- Make the particles move
- Theory on SDFs and Gradient
- Implement the “conform to surface” VOP
- Resolve inter-penetrations with the Grains solver
- Remove resulting velocities
- POP Sprite
- Create a size function
- Theory on using the “intersect” VOP
- Sampling attributes from the torus’ surface
- Clone geo on the points