Panasonic GH5 2.0 Firmware Release with 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra 400 Capability, Anamorphic, and HDR
Panasonic recently released Version 2.0 of the GH5 firmware, adding support for 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra 400 Mbps recording.
ALL-Intra refers to the method of compression used when writing each frame. It treats every captured frame as key frames when compressing and therefore you will record a higher quality video. The downside is the bandwidth and the file size. IPB compression uses designated keyframes and an algorithm to interpolate the missing frame data between keyframes. IPB results in smaller file sizes and less data throughput, but you will have lower quality intermediate frames versus shooting with ALL-Intra.
As a result of the data requirement, to record in ALL-Intra modes you will need a V60 or V90 SD card to shoot. One example where ALL-Intra will improve your footage capture quality will be in situations with high frequency motion such as water, fire, and foliage.
Other features in the update include anamorphic modes and support for HDR and HLG formats. Note that the GH5 monitor is not HDR compatible and you will require an external device to monitor in HDR.
Other improvements and bug fixes
- A rating function using a Fn button is available in Playback Zoom and Multi Playback.
- The following functions can be assigned to Fn buttons – [Constant Preview] [6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving] [Min. Shtr Speed] [RAW Processing] [Rec/Playback Switch] [Destination Slot] and [Mic Level Adj.].
- The DISP.Button can be locked
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was not able to be reset. This bug has been fixed.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was reset after formatting the SD Memory Card. This bug has been fixed.
- In Backup Rec, there were cases where the file number was not reset even after applying resetting. This bug has been fixed.
- The image quality when applying the following settings is improved: Extended low ISO, [i.Dynamic] (Intelligent D-range Control) and Highlight Shadow.
Head here to download the Version 2.0 Firmware.